Wednesday 23 July 2014

Leaving Buffalo

I am at the Buffalo bus terminal. My only night in this city for this trip is now finished. I am getting ready for the long bus trip to Columbus, Ohio. The bus will be pulling out of the station at 10:30AM. Arrival in Columbus, Ohio will occur around 5:30 PM. My time in Buffalo I have enjoyed immensely. I always stay at the same hostel whenever I am in this city. It is located 667 Main Street in an older style building. The interior has loft style ceilings. I enjoy the lounge area on the 2nd floor. This hostel is called Hostel Buffalo Niagara. It costs about $26 a night. I had to pay a percentage online when I booked through Hostelbookers. They don't take bank cards. I had no visa card available to me. The young lady at the hostel was very nice. She let me get settled in before I went off in search of an ATM. There are 2 nearby. The first one wouldn't let me withdraw from a Canadian account. The second one allowed me to do so, but charged a $3 fee.

After I paid for my room I went off in search of vegetables. There is a list of grocery stores in the lobby at the hostel. I was going to search for a Food Co-Operative, but rushed off without bringing the address. In my mind I knew exactly where it was. I was wrong. By the time I got to Elmwood I had forgotten where I was headed. I could not remember if the store I was looking for was on Elmwood or Ellicott. I decided to keep walking north along Elmwood.

Eventually I found a very large grocery store. It was near this co-operative I once visited when in the city last year to help out with Food Not Bombs. Whenever in Buffalo I typically help out with Food Not Bombs. They are a vegan organization which is pro-peace. They give out free food in Lafeyette Square on Saturdays and Mondays at 1PM. 

At the grocery store I bought some pumpkin seeds, garlic, broccoli, and carrots. I came back to the hostel and started doing a stir fry on the gas stove in the hostel kitchen. There were some people I chatted with while cooking. They were from Australia. This was the young woman's first time in the USA. They were heading off to Boston. I was complimented on the scent of my stir fry. I went to bed after cooking dinner.

Before checking at the hostel I rushed over to the local art supply store. I know somebody who works there. This is a store called Hyatt's All Things Creative which is located on Main Street just before Allen. It is only a few blocks north of the hostel. I rushed with my suitcase. I thought the store closed at 5PM. That is only on Saturdays. Monday to Friday they stay open until 6PM. 

My friend was working. He was  helping somebody with amputated arms when I entered the store. I was impressed to see an amputated person buying oil paint. It reminded me of a calendar my old psychiatrist gave me of the art work created by people who paint with their feet or mouth.
I needed to buy a new sketchbook while at the store. A value pack of 2 sketchbooks with grey toned paper for $14.95 was what I settled on. Recycled coffee bags were used to create this paper. A coupon for $5 in coffee included beneath the cellophane. I was told this coupon was for Spot Coffee. This morning I found out that it was not. It is for Starbucks. I need to send it to the art materials manufacturer and they send me an e-code. I also bought some multicultural colored oil pastels at Hyatt's. These are a variety of flesh tones meant to show diverse ethnic groups. These colors should be interesting on grey toned paper. I needed to spend $20 to get my rewards card punched. Hyatt's has a frequent shoppers card. After a number of $20 purchases you get $20 in free art supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment