Saturday 11 October 2014

St Catharines

Yesterday I visited St Catharines for the first time in my life. Currently I am considering moving there. It is the largest city in the Niagara region. It is warmer than Toronto by a few degrees. This is why the area is so popular for wine. The temperature is much better for growing grapes.


St Catharines is known as the Garden City. I spent the day in the downtown. First I was checking out a program for people who are going through a mental health crisis. This is an alternative to hospitalization for people to put their lives together. It is called Safe Beds. I am planning on staying with them as I turn my life around. 


I spoke with a counselor who was very kind for quite sometime. Afterwards I browsed some of the shops downtown. I came across an artist run center. There was a musical performance in the evening. This was how I spent my night. A musician with politically motivated song lyrics took the stage. It was an enjoyable evening with food provided by Food Not Bombs. The musician was named David Rovics. I bought his CD and was very impressed with the music. 

My tickets cost $16 round trip from Toronto. The bus was very crowded both ways because it is the Thanksgiving week-end in Canada. It took an hour merely to get out of the Toronto city limits. The drive takes less than 2 hours normally.

No comments:

Post a Comment